Shivat Zion

Temporary Resident - A1 Visa

Toshav Ara'ee
תושב ארעי
Last updated: 02.07.2023
Home > Information portal > Special Procedures > Temporary Resident – A1 Visa
If you are eligible to make Aliyah but you are not sure whether it is the right choice for you, a temporary residency (A1 visa) might be a good alternative. A list of the required documents and instructions on how to apply for the A1 visa can be found here. If you are considering making Aliyah at a later date, please carefully read the notes at the end of this guide.

What You Will Need:

The passport must be valid for at least 1 year.

More details on the apostille can be found here.

If you have been married more than once, you need to send the civil certificates of all marriages (not replaceable by the Ketubah or the Judicial Sentence of Divorce).

You need Police Clearance from every country of which you are a citizen or in which you resided for more than one year after the age of 18. You can find more information on each country here.

You must submit a letter stating your Jewish background. This letter must meet strict conditions that are explained here.

Additional documents might be requested.

How to Apply for the Visa:

  • If you are abroad, contact the Jewish Agency Global Center. You can find the phone number of your country here.
  • If you are in Israel, make an appointment with the Ministry of Interior in your city.

Important Note:

The A1 visa is valid for 1 year and can be renewed annually.

For an A1 visa holder, there is no obligation to serve in the army.

You won’t be granted any Aliyah benefits, such as Sal Klita, tax breaks, free Ulpan, health insurance, etc.

You won’t receive an Israeli passport. The A1 Teudat Zehut cannot be used for traveling. You will have to travel on your foreign passport.

You must arrange for private health insurance for your entire stay in Israel.

If you decide to make Aliyah at a later date, you might lose benefits. Specifically, if you stayed in Israel for more than:

  • 2 cumulative years in the last 3 years, or
  • 3 cumulative years in the last 5 years

After 6 months in Israel, you must pay Bituach Leumi (national social security).