Shivat Zion

Returning Minor

Katin Chozer
קטין חוזר
Last updated: 10.06.2024
Home > Information portal > Special Status > Returning Minor – Katin Chozer
If you were born in Israel or made Aliyah as a child and left Israel before the age of 14, you have a special status called Katin Chozer/Returning Minor. This is the list of documents that are required for a Katin Chozer in order to make Aliyah.

What You Will Need:

This document cannot be replaced by a marriage certificate or other proofs of identity. You can find more information on the apostille here.

  • If you were married more than once, you need to send all the relevant civil certificates and licenses (not replaceable by a Ketubah – a Jewish Marriage contract or by a Get – a Jewish Divorce document or the Judicial Sentence of Divorce).
  • If your spouse passed away, an official death certificate is required.
  • If you changed your name legally, you will also need a certificate of change of name with Apostille.

Your Israeli passport must be valid for at least another year.

You may be required to present a letter issued by a Rabbi from your community confirming your eligibility status.

As a Katin Chozer you must fill out this form listing all your entries to and exits from Israel

You must prove that you resided outside of Israel since the age of 14. A proof can be a certificate of residence, a valid foreign passport, school documents or other documents that confirm your official presence in that country.

If you are under 30 years old, additional documents from your parents are required:

Your parents need to sign the following declaration (in Hebrew)

The proof must cover at least the past 5 years. If you are over 25 years old, you don’t need to submit this proof.

Send a form stating your parents’ entries and exits when you were between 14-18 years old

You must prove that your parents resided outside of Israel when you were between 14-18 years old.

Steps to Take:

From abroad:

Call the Jewish Agency in order to start the process. You can find the phone number for your country/city here. You will then be sent a link to a form to fill out. If you need help with this, watch our tutorial.

You will receive an email from your account manager at the Jewish Agency setting a date and time for a first conversation, during which the Aliyah process and which documents you need will be explained. Be ready for the call.

After the call, you will receive a list of the required documents and your access details to the Aliyah Portal. All the following actions must be done on the Aliyah Portal:
a) Access the Portal and create your own password
b) Fill out the eligibility questionnaire
c) Pay the fee and upload the receipt
d) Fill out the remaining questionnaires
e) Upload the required documents
f) Send an email to your account manager informing him that you have completed the procedure.

After submitting all the required documents, the Jewish Agency will check your file. Be advised that they might request additional documents or information.

Once your documents receive initial verification, you will be notified that you are ready to schedule an interview with the Jewish Agency’s shaliach. You must follow the instructions exactly in order to schedule your interview. Please note that each country has a different way of scheduling them. In addition, you will be asked to send all the original documents to the Jewish Agency office. We advise you to make copies of everything you submit.

After the interview, you may have to submit additional documents, such as:

  • New background check with Apostille
  • Missing Apostilles of other documents
  • Medical certificate
  • Renewed portal forms

If the Jewish Agency does not get in touch with you within 30 days of the interview, contact them.

You will receive a final approval from your Shaliach

Within Israel:

Go in person to the Misrad HaPnim branch in your city with your valid Israeli passport and schedule an appointment at the Aliyah department. Please note that some branches in smaller cities do not offer this service and will direct you to an office in a bigger city nearby.

After submitting all the required documents, Misrad haPnim will schedule an interview for you to come in person. Make sure to bring all the original documents with you.

Important Note:

The State of Israel recognizes only 4 marital statuses: single, married, divorced, widowed. If your status is different, you need to check how it might influence the Aliyah process and benefits.

Additional documents may be required, especially if you are already in Israel and are making Aliyah via the Misrad HaPnim.