Shivat Zion

Requesting a Refund for Government Payments

Halich Bakasha LeHechzer Agra
הליך בקשה להחזר אגרה
Last updated: 02.07.2023
Home > Information portal > Integration Rights > Requesting a Refund for Government Payments
When a citizen uses a credit card to make a payment or overpayment to a government office online, under various circumstances a refund can be requested.
  • The requested and paid-for service was not provided within the time frame as stated by the government office
  • An overpayment was made due to an accidental overcharge
  • The law provides an exemption from payment
  • A legal decision or court order awards the individual with the right to a refund
  • A refund request will be processed within 10 business days.
  • Refunds from the Population and Immigration Authority will be processed within three months
For clarification regarding your particular refund you should contact the specific government office you are dealing with.
  • In order to request a refund, you need to fill out the following form (Hebrew only) and once completed click “send” at the bottom of the page.
  • You will need to upload a copy of your payment receipt.
  • You will also need to write an explanation why you believe you should receive a refund and upload a proof or document substantiating your claim.
  • Once submitted you should receive an automatic reply to your email address with all the details of your request.
  • For more information, see the government page here.

  • For technical support you can contact the Israel National Digital Agency central support center, Sunday to Thursday from 08:00 – 19:00 by phone: dial 1299 or email at