Shivat Zion

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > FAQs

The most popular questions and answers about Aliyah and life and Israel

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > FAQs

The most popular questions and answers about Aliyah and life and Israel

In order to qualify for making Aliyah, you must meet at least one of the following conditions:

  • you are Jewish (born to a Jewish mother or converted to Judaism by a Rabbinical Court recognized by the State of Israel), or
  • you have a Jewish father or grandfather, or
  • you are married to an eligible person, or
  • you are a widow/er of a Jewish spouse

In addition, you must meet the following conditions:

  • you do not to pose a risk to the national security of Israel
  • you do not to pose a risk to the public health

Are you still in doubt? Click here to get more information.

If you are not yet an Israeli citizen, yes.

Look for the community or Rabbi who knew your parents and grandparents. You will need an official letter of eligibility from the Rabbi or official Jewish community to prove your eligibility. More information on the requirements for the letter can be found here.

Actually, you must have the Jewish Agency verify your eligibility first. Only then will you know which documents are required in your case.

You must open an application file with the Jewish Agency and submit the conversion documents for verification.

If your parents are not Israelis and you were not born in Israel or have previously made Aliyah, the only way to obtain a passport is by making Aliyah.

Who qualifies for the status of Toshav Chozer and what you must do when returning to Israel, is explained in this guide.

If you are eligible for Aliyah but you are not sure if it is the best option for you, the Ministry of the Interior offers the possibility of temporary residence (A1 visa). See our guide here.

If you are eligible for Aliyah, you are also eligible for the A1 visa.

Am Yisrael (the Jewish People) has the privilege to return to the Land of Israel under Jewish rule, after more than 2,000 years living in the Diaspora. Nowadays it’s pretty convenient to make Aliyah and move to Israel, compared to how it was in the beginning of the return to the land of Israel (starting some 140 years ago). It nevertheless requires good preparation and readiness to accept and adjust to a new reality. It’s not easy, but worthwhile. You and your family can spend the rest of your life in the Land of Israel. There are also other aspects and reasons that can be beneficial, such as education, Jewish communities, Jewish culture and business/professionally related considerations. It is important to really want to make Aliyah in order to overcome the first bumps after coming to Israel, we therefore recommend to have a strong ideological base for taking this step.

Depending on your personal (family) situation, your background and the countries you (and your family members) lived in, you will need to gather a number of documents and get approval on your eligibility for Aliyah from the Jewish Agency for Israel. Click here to start your Aliyah, and here to understand more about the whole process and documents.

To begin your Aliyah process, you must personally call the Jewish Agency’s Global Center. You will need to answer some preliminary questions and will be informed about your eligibility and about how to proceed. You can find the phone number for your country here.

The Aliyah process usually lasts between 6 months to 1 year, depending on many factors such as the applicant’s status and the length of time it takes to submit documents. You can find a rough timeline here.

Depending on your background, family situation and countries you have resided in you need different documents. Click here to learn more about the specific documents you need.

This differs per country. You can find more information on each country here.

This differs per country. You can find more information here.

The passport is valid for the period specified therein. The police clearance must not be older than 6 months. The other documents (such as marriage, birth, death certificates, etc.) do not have an expiration date. As long as they are apostilled, they are valid. Note that the proof of Judaism might be valid for only one year, depending on the verification and requirements of the Jewish Agency and Misrad HaPnim.

You need to submit both documents – the marriage certificate as well as the divorce certificate – each of them with apostille.

Don’t translate any documents unless you are explicitly required to do so. In the majority of the cases the Jewish Agency will do the translations.

Please see the following tutorial clips on how to use the Jewish Agency portal. To learn how to register, click here. To learn how to fill out the questionnaires and pay the fee, click here.

The Jewish Agency charges a one-time fee for opening the application. The amount differs in each country and depends on the number of family members making Aliyah together.

There are several things to arrange beforehand when making Aliyah with a pet. Your pet has to have a microchip and be vaccinated proven by a serological test. Besides that, there is some paperwork to do. You can find more details here.

You need to call the Jewish Agency or book an appointment at Misrad HaPnim in order to open a Shinui Ma’amad (שנוי מעמד) Change of Status file. You will be asked to present several documents and forms. Please keep in mind that you must have all the original documents with you to be able to have an interview.

Making Aliyah from within Israel (shinui status) is usually faster.

The process of making Aliyah from abroad is different from initiating Shinui Ma’amad status (Aliyah from within Israel). If you have begun the Aliyah process abroad, you will be able to use the already submitted documents. However, there are a number of additional forms to fill out. You must call the Jewish Agency and open a file for Shinui Ma’amad status. This process is explained in this guide.

The A1 visa is valid for 1 year and can be renewed annually. Having an A1 visa does not oblige you to serve in the army. Neither does it entitle you to receive the benefits of new immigrants (such as Sal Klita, discounts, ulpan, health insurance, etc.). Furthermore, the A1 visa holder does not receive an Israeli passport and must arrange private health insurance for his stay in Israel.

If you are abroad, contact the Jewish Agency’s Global Center. Find the phone number for your country here. If you are in Israel, make an appointment with the Ministry of the Interior in your city.

See our guide for the entire list of documents you must submit.

Many different things have to be thought off regarding your Aliyah process, the actual move and life in Israel. We created a timeline to give you a general overview.

Depending on your original place of residence, several organizations help Olim to pack and move. Please contact us to get personalized guidance in this matter.

In addition to the option of organizations helping out, regular moving companies can help you as well.

After finishing the entire Aliyah process and having received the visa in your passport, you can talk to the shaliach and together schedule your Aliyah date which must happen within 6 months. Please note that you cannot choose the date of the flight before the whole process is done.

You need to take all original documents with you in your hand luggage. See our guide explaining everything in detail.

There is no exact answer, since it depends on the specific flight, but usually Olim can travel with 2 checked suitcases (2 x 23kg) per person.

In the first 3 years after Aliyah, Olim are entitled to import a car with a tax reduction. That shipment does not count as one of the 3 tax-free shipments that Olim are granted. However, importing a car is a complex process. Consider the involved costs and bureaucratic hassle before taking a decision:

  • You will need a large container which can be costly.
  • You need to arrange insurance for when the car is on the ship.
  • You will probably have to pay a shipping agent who takes care of the paperwork and import licenses.
  • When you are in Israel, you will have to convert your driver’s license sooner in order to get your car released. Depending on your driving experience, this might be just an administrative process of conversion, or it could involve additional lessons and re-testing.
  • You have to be present at the port (either Ashdod or Haifa) to get your car released.
  • Try to find out beforehand whether your car can be serviced in Israel, i.e. that the parts are available and that there are qualified mechanics for it. If your car is not available locally, it will get complicated.

There are a number of things you need to do. First of all you should open a bank account (see our guide here). It is important to have an active bank account in order to be able to continue with the next steps, such as going to Misrad HaKlita (see our guide here), registering at an HMO (see our guide here), choosing an Ulpan or registering your children for school (see our guide here). An overview of your first steps in Israel can be found here.

There are Aliyah programs for young Olim (age 18-35) such as Hebrew language courses on Kibbutzim or in cities, preparation for college or graduate studies, guidance for employment and preparation for recruitment into the IDF. To get an idea of programs and costs, click here.

The health insurance that best suits you depends on your personal needs, the needs of your household, the place of residence and other factors. We created a guide with some basic information. If you still need help, please contact us.

Many people speak English (and sometimes other languages as well). Nevertheless we advise you to take advantage of your right for a free government sponsored Ulpan (Hebrew course).

If you had a valid driver’s license for at least 5 years immediately preceding your Aliyah, you can convert your license without taking any lessons or tests. In order to convert your foreign driver’s license to an Israeli one, follow the steps explained in this guide.

Please note that your foreign driver’s license is valid in Israel for only one year. You should therefore convert your license before that first year passes.

About a month before your current license expires you should receive a payment request voucher in the mail. Check out our Guide here for more detailed information.

As of October 1, 2021, a driver’s license issued for private vehicles, motorcycles, and commercial vehicles up to 12 tons (category A and B) will be valid until age 70 (instead of 10 years). From 70, you’ll need to renew your license when you’re 75 and 80. From 80 you’ll need to renew it every two years.

Payment options include:

  1. Online digital options on the official government portal here or the Misrad HaTachbura (Ministry of Transportation) site here. A temporary license will be emailed to you immediately, and your permanent license will be mailed to you within 30 days.
  2. Via digital payment apps like Apple Pay or Google Pay here, and Max here. A temporary license will be emailed to you, and your permanent license will be mailed to you within 30 days.
  3. Bank transfer.
  4. Rishiomat (self-service computer station), located in Misrad HaRishui (Licensing) offices and some Superpharm pharmacy branches.
  5. Phone by calling *5678 or 03-5086905.
  6. Post Office.

If your payment request voucher indicates that you need a photo for your license, you can get your picture taken at a photo station here. You must pay for your license first and bring your temporary driver’s license to the photo station.

If you are a professional driver 60+, including taxi drivers, bus drivers, and heavy equipment operators, you are required to undergo health checkups. The results of the eye checkup must be signed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist here. Regular drivers are required to have medical checkups and eye tests from age 70.

The cost of obtaining a driver’s license in Israel depends on your age and the type of license you need. Fees are subject to change.

The benefits vary based on the candidate’s status, the number of family members making Aliyah together and their age. In general, olim chadashim receive the so-called Sal Klita (financial assistance), health insurance for six months, Hebrew ulpan, and various tax benefits. A chronological overview of the benefits including the period of time that they are valid, can be found here.

In order to receive your benefits, you first need to have an active bank account. Our guide on how to open a bank account can be found here. Once your bank account is active, you can go to Misrad HaKlita where you will get information about your benefits and status as an Oleh Chadash. After your first visit at Misrad HaKlita you will start receiving the monthly Sal Klita payments.

You are most probably eligible for the Sal Klita if you:

  • spent less than 24 (consecutive or cumulative) months in Israel within 3 years prior to your Aliyah
  • spent less than 3 years in Israel within 7 years prior to your Aliyah

A Katin Chozer gets the Sal Klita only if he spent less than 1 year in Israel prior to the Aliyah (exceptions might be made for recognized study programs).

If you are eligible to get Sal Klita, a monthly payment will be transferred to your Israeli bank account for 6 months.

The Sal Klita is paid in 6 monthly payments to your Israeli bank account. Olim Chadashim and Ezrachim Olim will get their first portion partly as an initial cash payment upon their arrival at the airport, partly wired to their Israeli bank account. A Katin Chozer or someone who received shinui status won’t receive the first payment at the airport, they get all the payments via bank transfer.

During the first 6 months, a certain amount of money will be transferred directly to your Israeli bank account. The amount varies based on your age and the number of family members. In order to get an indication, you can calculate the amount you will probably get here. If you are not an Oleh Chadash, but possess a special status (e.g. Ezrach Chozer, Katin Chozer, etc.) your benefits might differ. You can find more information on your eligibility for benefits here.

Do not book and pay the flight on your own, since you won’t get a refund. Speak to your shaliach or Jewish Agency office instead and they will arrange it for you.

Upon your arrival at the airport, you will get a temporary Israeli SIM card with free minutes to call and internet data allowance. This gives you enough time to choose your preferred phone company and plan.

If you don’t have an income, you will get the basic health insurance for free during the first 6 months after Aliyah. If you are unemployed after the first 6 months and receive income support from Misrad HaKlita (called Dmei Kiyum), you can get free health care for an additional 6 months. For this you must notify Bituach Leumi.

Yes, but they do get a significant discount. See more details about benefits in general here.

There is a tax discount on income earned in Israel in the first 3.5-4.5 years after Aliyah. In Israel the tax reduction is determined by a point system. 
The discount changes over time as follows:
Olim who came on Aliyah after 1.1.2022 receive tax discounts for 4.5 years from the date of Aliyah:

  • First 1 year: 1 point 
  • 1 – 2.5 years: 3 points 
  • 2.5 – 3.5 years: 2 points 
  • 3.5 – 4.5 years: 1 point 

Olim who came on Aliyah before 1.1.2022 receive tax discounts for 3.5 years from the date of Aliyah:

  • First 1.5 years: 3 points 
  • 1.5 – 2.5 years: 2 points 
  • 2.5 – 3.5 years: 1 point

New Olim or returning Israelis who have resided abroad for at least 10 full years (and for whom the center of life was abroad during those years), receive 10 years of tax concessions and benefits. For a period of 10 years, eligible new Olim and returning residents are exempt from tax on all income that originates outside Israel. The exemption covers all passive income, such as interest, dividends, allowances, royalties and rent from properties. Income, whether derived from the realization of assets and investments abroad or from current passive income abroad, is tax-exempt. See also here.

Olim are exempt from declaring and paying taxes on their pension in the first 10 years after their Aliyah. See also here.

If you earn a passive income abroad, you are probably eligible for tax breaks within the first 10 years of your Aliyah. There might be restrictions if you have lived in Israel prior to Aliyah.

In order to be eligible to receive the benefit of reduced property purchase tax, you must meet the following conditions:

  • The purchase must be completed within 10 years after Aliyah.
  • You must use the property personally, i.e. as your home or as your business.
  • The benefit can be used only once for a residential property and once for a commercial property.

In the first 15 years, you might be eligible for low interest rates when buying your first own property in Israel. If your spouse owns or owned a property in Israel, you won’t be granted the discount.
It is in any case recommended to check the interest rates, since some places might give even better rates regardless of the Aliyah benefit.

Toggle ContentStarting from the 8th month of your Aliyah, you will get rental assistance for up to 5 years from the date of your Aliyah. The amount depends on your family status and the number of years you have resided in Israel. More information and a table of amounts can be found here (Hebrew only).

You might be entitled to a reduction in daycare costs for Maon or Mishpachton in the first 2 years. The Maon or Mishpachton has to be recognized by the Ministry of Economy (Tamat). To check if your Maon or Mishpachton is recognized, click here. In order to receive the benefit, each parent must fulfill one of the following criteria:

  • Learning in an Ulpan (minimum 24 weekly hours each)
  • Being registered with Misrad HaKlita or Sherut HaTaasuka as unemployed and seeking a job

Besides the discount for Olim, an additional reduction can be applied for based on the parents’ income.

Based on your age, tuition assistance is available for different study programs if the institution is recognized by the Student Authority:

  • Up to age 23: Mechina (preparatory year course)
  • Up to age 27: BA
  • Up to age 30: MA
  • MA students might get up to 1 year of Hashlamot (prerequisite classes) paid.

In order to receive the benefit, you must start your studies within the first 3 years after Aliyah. The army and Sherut Leumi are not counted in the 3 years.

Olim (new immigrants) within 10 years of their Aliyah (immigration) for either a government-sponsored or private Ulpan.
Age requirement for the voucher program: You must be 17 years or older at the time of Aliyah.
Olim who have previously studied in Ulpan using a voucher and wish to continue their Hebrew studies in “Ulpan Aleph” in a Ministry of Education Ulpan.
Olim who completed Ulpan Aleph of the Ministry of Education and attended all classes, and now want to continue their Hebrew studies using the voucher program in a private Ulpan.

Yes, financial aid is available but subject to certain conditions:
The financial aid amount will not exceed 7,500 NIS or the actual course cost, whichever is lower.
You may be eligible for a transportation subsidy; please inquire with your Klita counselor.
Olim enrolled in an Ulpan who are not receiving Sal Klita Integration basket payments may be eligible for a living allowance during their study period.
Please note that Olim who do not utilize their Ulpan benefit during their first year of Aliyah will not be eligible for living allowance and transportation subsidies provided by Sal Klita if they register for an Ulpan later on.

For more detailed information on how to receive financial assistance, you can view this link.

The first Ulpan must be attended within 18 months of your Aliyah. In order to receive full reimbursement, you must attend at least 80% of the lessons. To get a certificate at the end of the course, you must take the final exam. There is an option for a second Ulpan within 10 years of your Aliyah, only one of the two can be a private Ulpan though. For more details click here and/or contact us. Children in grades 1 through 12 can receive additional Hebrew lessons in the first year of Aliyah.

If you are younger than 55, you might be eligible. If you want an absorption in a Merkaz Klita, you need to request it early in the Aliyah process, since the spots are limited. You can do that when filling out the questionnaires from the Aliyah portal.

There are no absorption programs provided by the Jewish Agency for that age group. But you can get in touch with us for other options tailored to your personal situation.

You can bring 3 shipments of appliances and household goods tax-free to Israel. This benefit applies up to 3 years after Aliyah. Extensions are granted in exceptional cases, such as military service, full-time study or a 6 months absence from Israel. If you are a former A1 temporary resident, you first need to open a file with the Customs Authority in order to clarify your status. Don’t bring in any shipments before you receive that clarification.

Olim (עולים), new immigrants, are eligible to purchase new cars at a reduced tax rate within three years after making Aliyah.

50% Meches (מכס), Customs Tax, on all vehicles + 17% VAT (Value Added Tax).

Here’s a sample calculation:

  • If the car is worth: 100,000 NIS, Meches on the car: 100,000 NIS x 50% = 50,000 NIS
    Car value + Meches = 150,000 NIS
  • VAT payment: 150,000 x 17% = 25,000 NIS
  • Total tax payment: 50,000 NIS + 25,000 NIS = 75,000 NIS

Here are the steps to buy a new car with Zechuyot:

  1. Find a car dealer and visit their dealership to choose the vehicle you want. Negotiate with the dealer directly for potential discounts or extras.
  2. Prepare the required documents including:
  • a copy of your Teudat Oleh (תעודת עולה), New Immigrants Aliyah booklet.
  • a copy of your Israeli Rishyon Nehiga (רישיון נהיגה), Driver’s License (acquired via the conversion of a foreign driver’s license).
  • original driver’s license from your country of origin
  • foreign passport with Aliyah visa, and Teudat Zehut.
  1. The car dealer will send the necessary documentation to Meches (מכס), the Customs Authority. Within 10 days to three weeks, your car should be released to you with the reduced tax benefit.

No, Olim buying a new hybrid or electric car do not receive the Olim discount, as the tax rate for these cars is already lower than the Olim benefit tax rate.

Olim can sell their car to another Oleh who still has rights to purchase a car with reduced taxes. This is called Passport to Passport. The seller and buyer must visit the local office of Meches to determine the car’s final value and any outstanding taxes owed.

No, you cannot use your Oleh benefits when purchasing a second-hand car privately. However, you can still use your benefits to purchase an additional new car or a passport-to-passport car within three years of Aliyah.

If you buy a car without your Zechuyot, you need to go with the seller and the Rishyon Rechev (רשיון רכב), Car registration certificate, to any Snif Doar (סניף דואר), Post Office branch, and pay 187 NIS to transfer ownership. Sometimes the seller may split the fee with you.

Selling the car within four years of purchase requires paying back the tax reduction received at the time of purchase. After four years, this restriction is automatically lifted. To calculate or pay off the remaining taxes before the four-year mark, one can fill out an online form or email Make sure to receive confirmation that the restriction has been lifted before transferring ownership of the car or allowing other family members to drive it.

Only the person who used their Zechuyot to purchase the car and their spouse are allowed to drive the car.

Children of Olim who wish to drive a car purchased with Zechuyot must have the same address as their parents on the Sefach (ספח), Information attachment, of their Teudat Zehut. They require written permission from Meches, which can be obtained by visiting the nearest Meches office with a written request, a copy of their driver’s license, a written request from the car’s owner (parent), their Teudat Zehut, and the car’s registration certificate. The approval is granted for one year and can be extended.

If you left Israel within the first 10 years after your Aliyah, you probably have some benefits left. You can check this with Misrad HaKlita (once you are back in Israel) or by calling and opening a file for Arachat Zakaut with the Jewish Agency.

The benefits vary based on your status and other factors. If you make Aliyah from within Israel, you will not receive the Aliyah flight ticket, the free SIM card and the taxi from the airport. An overview of the benefits you can find here. Please note that only Misrad HaKlita can give advance ruling on your personal benefits.

We advise you to first check here if you meet the criteria of a Toshav Chozer. In order to determine what benefits you are entitled to, you must apply for your first year of the so-called adaption benefits by filling out this form. Please be aware that an Israeli bank account is required in order to receive financial assistance.

You start to lose some of the Aliyah benefits if you stay in Israel for:

  • more than 2 cumulative years in the last 3 years, or
  • more than 3 years in the last 7 years

Education and special education for children is free in Israel by the law of “Chok Chinuch Chova” (the law for mandatory education). This law applies to the ages 3-18. Other types of education do charge tuition fees. In some cases these might be (partially) subsidized. You can find some basic information on the educational system here.

Specific types of Olim can get discounted, subsidized and/or free courses. Your Klita counselor at Misrad Haklita can give you the precise answers about this, since these depend on your age, status as Oleh and some other factors. A general overview of your benefits can be found here.

There are two types:
Government-Sponsored Ulpan: Offered by the Ministry of Education and available throughout the country. Eligibility is typically determined by the address on your Teudat Zehut (ID card).
Private, Subsidized Ulpan: Run by various private providers, both in-person and online, and can be accessed using vouchers issued by the Ministry of Aliyah and Integration (Misrad HaKlita).

Some private ulpans are fully subsidized, others are not. You need to check this out with the ulpan itself or contact us.

This really depends on your level of Hebrew, age, family situation and the place of residence, whether you want to go to a boarding program or a morning/afternoon/evening program etc. A guide for ulpan study can be found here. Contact us for personal advice regarding your specific circumstances.

You can register by either:
Contacting your Klita counselor at your local branch of the Misrad HaKlita to receive a referral for Ulpan.
Applying online here.
If multiple Ulpan programs are available, you may want to visit them to gather more information before registering.

Each country has its own educational system. Choosing the right school depends on many factors, such as the age of your children, your religious level of observance, their language skills and more. You can find an overview of the Israeli educational frameworks here.

Ensure that your studies, including an internship, are approved by the Misrad HaBriut (משרד הבריאות) Ministry of Health (MOH) in Israel.

Obtain the necessary documents for the process, including two passport photos, application form, questionnaire for healthcare professionals, photocopies of an Israeli identity card, final diploma in occupational therapy or certification of completion, valid license to practice, official confirmation of study dates, official certification of completing a 1,000-hour internship (or proof of at least one year of work as an OT), and professional certificate of good standing.

You can download the application form from here and the questionnaire from here.

You can choose one of the following options: verification with an apostille, visit/send the documents to an Israeli notary for notarization, or obtain an Imut He’etek (verified copy) of the document at the Israeli consulate.

You need to submit two copies of each document: one verified copy along with an additional photocopy of the original document. Retain the originals and a photocopy of the verified document for yourself.

No, currently online degrees are not recognized by the Israeli Ministry.

Some documents listed are valid for only one year from the issuing date. Ensure timely submission of your Teudat Zehut (תעודת זהות) Israeli ID card to avoid the need for re-issued documents.

Once your documents are approved, you must pass a licensing exam, which is available twice a year and offered in various languages.

Yes, you can complete all the steps before Aliyah to expedite the process. Your file will be ready, pending completion of Aliyah.

If your documents are approved and you pass the exam, you need to send your new Teudat Zehut upon completing Aliyah, and your license will be mailed to your home address.

If you are below the Israeli retirement age, you may be entitled to reimbursement from the Absorption Ministry for expenses incurred in Israel (up to 4000 NIS). The reimbursement process can be initiated only after completing Aliyah. Take your original receipts to your local office of Misrad HaKlita and submit them for processing.

Misrad Habriut now offers a new customer call center to answer questions about licensing for healthcare professionals. In Israel call *5400, Sunday through Thursday, 8:00 – 18:00, and Fridays from 8:00 – 13:00.

Assessments, known as Ivchunim – אבחונים- Developmental & Educational Assessments, may be initiated due to concerns about a child’s cognitive functioning, learning, attention, emotional well-being, or behavior at school or home. They provide insights into various aspects, including abstract thinking, language skills, memory, attention, motor skills, academic skills, and emotional factors.

Broad-based assessments examine cognitive, learning, and psychological strengths and weaknesses. They include aspects such as abstract thinking, language skills, memory, attention, processing speed, fine motor skills, academic skills (reading, writing, mathematics), and executive function skills (attention, planning, organization). Psychological and emotional factors are also considered.

Olim children should be tested in their stronger language with bilingual components, including Hebrew reading, writing, and language skills. Bilingual assessments, conducted by highly qualified psychologists, ensure accurate representation of a child’s abilities, especially for primarily non-Hebrew speaking children or those with complex developmental histories.

In addition to regular Ivchunim, there are:

  • Ivchun Didacti (אבחון דידקטי) didactic educational assessment, focusing on specific academic skills.
  • Psychological evaluations used to assess emotional states, often including an IQ test.
  • Developmental assessments are for preschoolers and are often obtained through pre-kindergartens or municipal services. Private broad-based developmental assessments by bilingual psychologists are recommended for non-Hebrew speaking children.

Assessments at different stages provide recommendations for placement, remedial services, accommodations, therapeutic interventions, and potential transfer to special education. For high school preparation (Bagrut), assessments are crucial for test accommodations, including extra time, reading assistance, and more.

Children face increasing cognitive and academic demands with age, requiring periodic reassessments. Some conditions may only reveal their full impact later, necessitating updated interventions and accommodations. While the Israeli Ministry of Education considers assessments valid for 5 years, psychologists often recommend reassessment every 3 years, especially for complex cases.

Ensure your child is well-rested, not hungry, and comfortable asking for breaks. Discuss any relevant medication with the examiner and inform them of any physical or emotional conditions on the testing day. Adequate preparation helps create a comfortable testing experience, yielding reliable results.

Resources vary by school, and it’s advisable to check with the school guidance counselor regarding test accommodations and professional assistance. Advocacy may be necessary in schools unfamiliar with Olim children, and discussing experiences with other Olim parents can provide valuable insights.

Olim are not required to remain in Israel for a minimum period of time, but their departure might result in the loss and reduction of some benefits. Especially if they leave Israel within the first year of Aliyah, they might have to pay back benefits which were received.

There is no prohibition of leaving Israel or a mandatory minimum stay in Israel. However, consider the following consequences when leaving Israel:

  • If you leave Israel in the first 6 months after Aliyah, the Sal-Klita-payments will automatically be frozen upon your departure from Israel and unfrozen as long as you return within the first year of your Aliyah. If however your return exceeds one year after your Aliyah date, you won’t get the Sal Klita-payments anymore and might lose other benefits as well.
  • If you leave Israel within the first year of your Aliyah, there is no issue with Bituach Leumi because your national insurance is part of Misrad HaKlita in the first year. If you want to leave Israel after the first year for a longer period of time, check the consequences with Bituach Leumi.

This depends on the country you have your citizenship(s) from. Some countries don’t allow dual citizenships, while others allow even more than two. Israel does allow multiple citizenships. Thus, you have to check the laws of your country of origin. If you need help with this, don’t hesitate to contact us.

The Israeli authorities are aware of the problem that some countries don’t allow dual/multiple citizenship and provide a solution by signing the “waiver to renounce Israeli Citizenship” (Tofes Arli). In practice it means that you don’t get an Israeli passport, but will get a Teudat Zehut and will have all the rights and obligations of an Israeli citizen and Oleh Chadash (besides that you won’t be able to vote in national elections, only in local ones). You do not lose any Aliyah benefits when signing the waiver.

No, until your Aliyah is finalized you are not allowed to work. However, when applying for the change in status at Misrad HaPnim you can also apply for a temporary work permit.

Whether or not you are entitled to an Old-Age pension in Israel depends on several factors. More information can be found here.

According to the law of most European countries, you can also receive an old-age pension while living in Israel. Check the details with your country of origin or contact us.

It depends. According to Israeli law, all Israeli citizens between the ages of 18-21 are required to be enlisted into the IDF. If you fall within this age group, are healthy, and are unmarried, then you may be drafted.

If you are between 22-27 years old, you are exempt from serving but can choose to volunteer for service. Olim (immigrants) who are 28 years old and above do not need to serve and cannot volunteer for service.

Important Note: There are some exceptions to the rule above. Olim may be drafted despite being officially over-age, for example, if they received a deferment or postponed their service until finishing their academic studies. It’s also possible that people who made Aliyah after having an A1 Visa for a few years will be drafted despite being over-age.

To verify your obligation, contact the IDF Meitav Overseas Recruitment Department for instructions, via WhatsApp at +972-52-945-8579, email, or phone at +972-3-7387080

Various factors such as medical health, physical fitness, and marital status are taken into account when determining whether someone will be drafted.

The duration of mandatory service depends on the age at the time of Aliyah (immigration to Israel) and personal status. There is a chart available for reference, specifying the duration based on different factors.

Yes, there are exceptions and extensions. Women in certain roles, such as combat roles, may be required to serve for 32 months. Additionally, there are circumstances where individuals who have postponed their service, received deferments, or made Aliyah after having an A1 visa for a few years may still be drafted for compulsory service, even if they are over 21.

Olim are given 1 year to adapt to living in Israel before being drafted into the IDF. However, some Olim choose to enlist before the completion of this 1-year period.

If someone wishes to enlist within the first year of Aliyah, they can contact the IDF Meitav Overseas Recruitment Department for instructions. They can reach out via WhatsApp at +972-52-945-8579, email at, or phone at +972-3-7387080.

A Tzav Rishon is the first draft notice individuals receive from the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), officially making them candidates for the IDF.

Olim Chadashim usually receive a Tzav Rishon by mail at their home address.

A Tzav Rishon includes the time and date for reporting to the Lishkat HaGiyus (לשכת הגיוס) IDF Recruitment Office, a personal code for the IDF website, an information brochure, a medical questionnaire to be completed by a doctor, and public transportation vouchers for free travel to the designated recruitment office.

Make an appointment with your family doctor through your Kupat Cholim (HMO) and bring the forms received from the IDF. The doctor will complete and sign the She’elon Refui Tzav Rishon (שאלון רפואי צו ראשון)medical questionnaire.

The doctor will provide a Hafnaya (הפניה) referral for a urine test.

Print and digitally save the medical questionnaire and urine test results.

Make an appointment with an Rofeh Einayim (רופא עיניים) eye doctor through your Kupat Cholim and bring the appropriate IDF forms. The doctor will complete the necessary section.

Log into your personal zone on the IDF website using the provided password and fill in the required information, including medical details (in addition to the physical form from your doctor).

Upload digital versions of all the above documents to your personal zone on the IDF website.

Keep all paper documents organized and bring them physically when reporting to the IDF recruitment office.

It is advised to upload all the required documents no later than 2 weeks before the appearance date at the IDF recruitment office.

Religious women can get a P’tor (פטור) exemption from army service. Until the P’tor from the army is actually in your hands, you must follow all the instructions of the army. Married women are automatically exempt from IDF service.

It depends. According to Israeli law, all Israeli citizens between the ages of 18-21 are required to be enlisted into the IDF. If you fall within this age group, are healthy, and are unmarried, then you may be drafted.
If you are between 22-27 years old, you are exempt from serving but can choose to volunteer for service. Olim (immigrants) who are 28 years old and above do not need to serve and cannot volunteer for service.
Important Note: There are some exceptions to the rule above. Olim may be drafted despite being officially overage, for example, if they received a deferment or postponed their service until finishing their academic studies. It’s also possible that people who made Aliyah after having an A1 Visa for a few years will be drafted despite being overage.

In general, the duration of service for Olim in this age group (as of June 2020) depends on your age at the time of Aliyah, your personal status, and your state of health. See the following chart for details.

In general, Olim who are between 22-27 years old upon arrival in Israel are exempt from service, but they can choose to volunteer for 18 months. Olim who are 28 years old and above are completely exempt from service and cannot volunteer to serve.

This is IDF lingo for a candidate that is draftable to the IDF by Israeli law.

It depends. Certain pre-existing medical conditions may lead to service exemption. The IDF decides whether to draft you based on your preliminary health screening at your Tzav Rishon ( צו ראשון) First Draft Notice. At this time, you will receive a numeric value referred to as your “profile number.” A service candidate with a numeric profile value of 21 or 24 is dismissed from service. Learn more about the IDF profile number.

The IDF will give you a Hebrew test during your Tzav Rishon. Depending on your results, you may be sent to a 3-month Hebrew Ulpan course at Michva Alon base (the IDF’s education division base).
It is advisable to study well in the Ulpan as this is an important key to successful integration into the IDF – and into Israeli society at large. Hebrew can open doors for you, both professionally and personally, within the IDF and outside of it, so it’s worth the effort to learn the language as best you can before your active service.

Yes, the IDF Ulpan begins after your official drafting. You will go to the Ulpan in uniform, and the 3-month Ulpan course is considered part of your official service.

No. The IDF understands that new Olim need some time to adapt to living in Israel. Therefore, Olim are only officially required to enlist 1 year after their Aliyah date.

Yes, you can enlist before your 1-year adaptation period is over. However, it’s good to know that the IDF runs Ulpan courses only 3 times a year: July-August, November-December, and March-April (the IDF decides on the exact dates).
If you wish to learn Hebrew in the army Ulpan – and we suggest you do – then try to get your draft date arranged accordingly.
If you wish to enlist within your first year of Aliya, contact the IDF Meitav Overseas Recruitment Department for instructions, via WhatsApp at +972-52-945-8579, email, or phone at +972-3-7387080.

No, pregnant women and mothers of children are exempt from serving in the IDF.

The (medical) profile is a number assigned to each potential recruit that reflects their physical and mental fitness for serving in the IDF. It is determined during a person’s Tzav Rishon to the IDF and affects the type of role and duties they will have in the military.
Click here for more information on IDF medical profile numbers.

Yes. Doctors and dentists who make Aliyah have a different status regarding the duration of their military service. There is also a differentiation between male and female doctors/dentists. For more details, click here.

Yes, but there are special stipulations for your case. See here for more details.

Bituach Leumi, also known as the National Insurance Institute, is the government office responsible for social security in Israel. One of its primary responsibilities is to provide financial support for residents of Israel who are temporarily or permanently unable to support themselves. Check out our Guide for more detailed information.

Bituach Leumi is compulsory for every Israeli resident who is 18 years or older, with a few exceptions. Eligibility for insurance benefits and the requirement to pay premiums is determined according to residency in Israel and not citizenship.

There are various categories of individuals who are exempt from paying Bituach Leumi premiums. Some examples are housewives or a woman who is married to or the common-law wife of an insured person and who does not work outside her home and is not an Atzmai, someone receiving a permanent 100% KItzvat Nechut (work disability pension), soldiers in Sherut Sadir (regular military service) or an Israeli resident living in another country with whom Israel has signed a social security convention and who has paid social security in that country.

For more general information click here.

Elderly immigrants who make aliyah above a certain age are not eligible for a pension from Bituach Leumi unless they have no other source of income, in which case they may be eligible for a special pension.

If you temporarily move abroad, you must continue to make monthly Bituach Leumi and Bituach Briut (National Health Insurance) premium payments. A delay in payments while abroad could delay your eligibility to receive Kupat Cholim (HMO healthcare services) for up to six months upon your return.

Bituach Leumi usually considers you an Israeli resident for the first five years abroad. After five years, you will need to prove that your residence overseas is still temporary.

If you move permanently to another country, you have to fill out a form and attach documentation proving that you have moved your primary residence out of Israel. This needs to be submitted within five years of leaving Israel.

As returning residents, you are eligible for Bituach Leumi benefits but will be required to notify Bituach Leumi of your return and provide documentation proving that you have made Israel your main place of residence again. You will of course have to continue or restart to make monthly premium payments as well.

Bituach Leumi collects insurance premiums from all residents according to their income and insurance status and classification and pays benefits to all those eligible. For more details, click here. Fines (and interest) are levied for failing to pay the required taxes.

Bituach Leumi pays benefits to those eligible, assisting people at times of personal crisis such as work termination, disability and work injury. You can view the main benefits here.

Bituach Leumi may provide the unemployed person with funds for a limited time during his/her unemployment. You should report to the Sherut HaTa’asuka (Employment Service) immediately upon termination of employment, and then report on regular days as instructed by the Service.

When completing the questionnaires in the Aliyah portal, you will be requested to choose a Klita category. There are several types of Klita, such as structured Klita, Kibbutz Klita or direct Klita. Contact us  for more information and help in finding a solution tailored to your personal situation.

Structured absorption is an option for people up to 55 years old who want to stay at an absorption center (Merkaz Klita) before deciding where they will live long-term. Olim can stay at the absorption center for up to 6 months at a low rental cost. You can request a spot in the questionnaire in the Aliyah portal and speak about it with your shaliach during the interview. But the actual receipt of a spot depends on the availability of the center.

If you choose direct absorption, you organize your accommodations on your own and are entirely responsible for making all the necessary arrangements. Many Olim temporarily rent an apartment or stay with family and friends upon their arrival.

Finding a suitable environment is very important for your integration in Israel. There are numerous options so please contact us and we will try to help you find a solution based on your personal situation.

There are two online real estate search platforms (Hebrew only): Yad2 and Madlan. Furthermore, many people post their apartments on Facebook in various groups. Contact us for advice tailored to your personal situation and targeted area.

The health insurance that best suits you depends on your personal needs, the needs of your household, the place of residence and other factors. Here is a guide we created with some basic information. If you still need help, please contact us.

We recommend selecting at least one coverage program up from the most basic one. There is an increase in price, but based on our experience, the return is well worth it. This is the best way to ensure better quality, and less expensive healthcare in the future if the need arises. This is also the suggestion made to non-Olim Israelis.

For adults, dental care is not covered by the health basket. There are public and private dental options. However, children up to age 18 are entitled to dental care through their HMO. Teenagers between the age 17-18 are eligible for plaque removal twice a year free of charge.

You will find extensive updated information about healthcare in Israel here.

We recommend that you bring a 3 month supply of all your medications with you. This allows you time to arrange appointments and prescriptions in Israel.
If you want to check whether your medication is included in the basic health plan, click here and type your medication in the search bar.
There are medications covered by supplemental health plans for up to 50%. For this you need to check the list at each HMO: ClalitMaccabiLeumitMeuhedet.
Here you can find a price list of drugs marketed in Israel. It shows the full non-subsidized price, including VAT. The price for drugs subsidized by the HMO may be significantly lower.
You can always contact us with any related question.

Yes, tap water in Israel is safe to drink. The Ministry of Health even recommends drinking tap water.

A Tag Chanaya LeNecheh is a special parking permit issued in Israel for individuals with mobility challenges, allowing them to park in designated disabled parking spots and restricted areas.

There are three types of permits:

Regular permit: Identified by a green triangle, for those with limited mobility.
Wheelchair permit: Marked with a wheelchair symbol, for individuals who require a wheelchair.
IDF veterans permit: Features a flower symbol, available for disabled veterans.

You may be eligible if you have an illness or condition causing mobility issues, difficulty walking, or confinement to your home as indicated in your medical reports.

You have two application methods:

Online application (Processing time: around one month): For Israeli citizens with a Teudat Zehut (identity card), apply online through the government website.

Regular mail application (Processing time: around two months): Compile required documents and send them to the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety.

Ministry of Transport and Road Safety

The Unit for Limited Mobility – Update and Control Center

היחידה לטיפול במוגבלי ניידות במרכז עדכון ובקרה

PO Box 72, Holon 58100


Required documents include:

  • Completed application form.
    Copy of Teudat Zehut and Sefach (information attachment).
  • Copy of car registration certificate (Rishyon Rechev) for up to two vehicles.
  • Copy of driver’s license (Rishyon Nehiga), if applicable.
  • Signed letter specifying the number of permits requested.
  • Approval from Misrad HaBriut (Ministry of Health) indicating mobility disability or 60% disability (if applicable).
  • Doctor’s letter confirming mobility disability.

Yes, some categories like IDF disabled veterans, Holocaust survivors, terror attack victims, blind individuals, and cancer patients can update their vehicles directly with the Misrad HaRishui system.

Call the Misrad HaTachbura Call Center (*5678) two weeks after submission to inquire about your application’s status and any missing documents.

Yes, you can request reimbursement for reduced registration fees.

Display the permit inside the front windshield on the left-hand side or left-hand side window near the front of the car.
Ensure the permit is clearly visible to law enforcement officers.
The permit is valid for four years and can only be used by the disabled individual either as a driver or passenger.
Do not use the permit if the disabled individual is not in the vehicle (fine up to 13,000 NIS).
If you sell your car, contact Misrad Harishui to transfer ownership.

Remember to renew your permit before it expires to continue enjoying the benefits of convenient parking access!
For more in depth information please check out our Step- by-Step Guide here.

In January 2017, the Israeli government introduced Chisachon LeKol Yeled, an account opened for every Israeli child under 18. The government deposits money into these accounts each month, automatically enrolling all newborns in the program.

Bituach Leumi ביטוח לאומי National Insurance, deposits 55 NIS each month into an account on behalf of every Israeli child under 18. Parents choose between a Kupat Gemel קופת גמל Provident fund or a Cheshbon Chisachon BeBank חשבון חיסכון בבנק bank savings account. There are various sub-tracks within each account type, and the funds are automatically invested based on the parents’ choice.

Parents can choose between a Kupat Gemel or a bank savings account and select sub-tracks within each account type. The decision must be made within 6 months of the child’s birth. Once in a Kupat Gemel, switching to a bank account is not allowed.If this is your first child or you didn’t choose previously, the default Kupat Gemel will be chosen at one of the investment houses. Currently, the default track is the “high risk” track. In previous years, the default track was set to be the “low risk” track.

At 18, the child receives an additional deposit of 500 shekels. Withdrawals can be made with parental consent. If the funds are not withdrawn until age 21, an additional 500 shekels is added, and the child can withdraw the funds without parental consent. Up to age 21, all investment management fees are covered by Bituach Leumi.

If you have children under 18, they will be automatically enrolled in this program. You have 180 days from the date of Aliyah to choose a track for your children or they will be placed in the default track as described above.

Yes, parents can reduce their monthly child stipend they receive from the government by 55 shekel per child and add that amount to the child’s savings account. However, additional voluntary contributions are not allowed beyond the stipend deduction.

The bank savings account offers three sub-tracks: Fixed interest rate, Inflation-adjusted interest rate, and Variable interest rate. Banks may allow switching tracks every 5 years for added flexibility.

Kupat Gemel, offered by Israeli investment companies, has four sub-tracks: High-risk, Medium-risk, Low-risk, and Halachic. A passive index fund, tracking the S&P 500, is available with the Phoenix Insurance Company.

An Oleh can bring any amount of money into Israel. However, sums of 50,000 NIS or more must be declared to customs according to Israeli law. This declaration is applicable to the total amount possessed by the reporting person or their family unit. (Note: These regulations also apply when taking money out of Israel.)

Declaring money at customs helps Israeli authorities monitor and prevent international money laundering attempts involving money entering or leaving the country. While Olim are usually not subject to questioning regarding declared funds, violating the legal obligation to declare money can result in the seizure of funds, criminal proceedings, and/or financial penalties.

The following items need to be declared:

  • Mezuman (Cash)
  • Check Banka’i (Bank check issued by a bank)
  • Hamcha’at Nos’im (Travelers’ checks)
  • N’yarot Erech (Banking securities/bearer securities)
  • Shtarot S’chirim (Negotiable instruments)
  • Cartisei Tashlum (Payment cards)

Follow these steps:

  • Download and complete Declaration Form 84a.
  • Submit the form to the customs official at the airport for review. You will receive a signed copy of the declaration.
  • Mail Submission (if no customs official is available): If no customs official is present, send the completed form by Registered Mail with delivery confirmation within 72 hours of entering Israel.

Address for mailing:

המוקד הארצי לאיסור הלבנת הון
בנק ישראל 5, ירושלים

Keep a copy of the submitted declaration form for your personal records and reference.

Yes, we are here to assist with any issue from the moment you think about Aliyah until the moment you have settled down in Israel and feel secure. If you have a specific problem you can fill the Trouble shooting form here.

Either by WhatsApp, email or by scheduling a phone call. You can find all the links to contact us here.