Shivat Zion


(ביטוח לאומי)


Bituach Leumi (ביטוח לאומי), National Insurance Institute, is the government office responsible for social security, of which one of its primary responsibilities is to provide financial support for residents of Israel who are temporarily or permanently unable to support themselves. Their website can be found here.

1. Who is Obligated to Pay?

National Insurance is compulsory. Every Israeli resident must pay premiums from the age of 18, with the following exceptions (Links in English or Hebrew). Eligibility for insurance benefits and the requirement to pay premiums is determined according to residency in Israel and not citizenship.

New Immigrants

As of January 2023, if an oleh, including a Katin Chozer (קטין חוזר) returning minor and Ezrah Oleh (אזרח עולה), Israeli citizen born abroad, earns less than 594 NIS per month in income, they are exempt from paying Bituach Leumi Insurance during their first 12 months in Israel.

Elderly Immigrants

Elderly immigrants who make aliyah above a certain age (Links in English or Hebrew for Men)  or (Links in English or Hebrew for Women) are not eligible for a pension from Bituach Leumi unless they have no other source of income, in which case they may be eligible for a special pension, check here.

Israeli Living Abroad

  • Temporarily

An Israeli resident who temporarily lives abroad must continue to make monthly Bituach Leumi and Bituach Briut (ביטוח בריאות) National Health Insurance premium payments. A delay in payments while abroad could delay your eligibility to receive Kupat Cholim (קופת חולים) HMO healthcare services for up to six months upon your return. In order to avoid this, before you leave the country, you must fill out the following form (here) and submit it to the Bituach Leumi branch (here) nearest to your place of residence or submit it online (here).

Bituach Leumi usually considers you an Israeli resident for the first five years abroad. After five years you will need to prove that your residence overseas is still temporary.

  • Permanently

If you move permanently to another country, you have to fill out the following form 627 (here) and attach documentation proving that you have moved your primary residence out of Israel. This needs to be submitted to the Bituach Leumi branch (here) nearest to your place of residence or submit it online (see above) within five years of leaving Israel.

  • Returning Residents

As returning residents (here), you are eligible for Bituach Leumi benefits but will be required to notify Bituach Leumi of your return by completing form 628 (here) and attaching documentation proving that you have made Israel your main place of residence again. This can be proof of sale of property or possessions in the country you had been residing in or cancellation of insurance coverage, ending employment etc. as well as documentation showing your official residence has returned to Israel (shipping of household possessions, rental contract, employment contract, school registration etc.) You will of course have to continue or restart to make monthly payments as well. Check here for more information about insurance payments.

To receive medical insurance coverage and services under the National Health Insurance Act, you may be required to wait a period of six months after entering Israel. Check here to determine your status. You can also pay a fee (13,740 NIS as of January 1, 2023) to cancel the waiting period. For more information click here.

2. Who Is Not Required to Pay Bituach Leumi? (Some Examples)

  • Housewife

For more informations, check here.

  • A Woman Who Is Married to or the Common-Law Wife

A woman who is married to or the common-law wife of an insured person and who does not work outside her home and is not an Atzmai. For more informations, check here.

  • Receiving a Permanent 100% Kitzvat Nechut (קצבת נכות) 

A person receiving a 100% Kitzvat Nechut (קצבת נכות) work disability pension.

  • Soldiers in Sherut Sadir (שירות סדיר) Regular Military Service

  • Special Cases

An Israeli resident living in another country (here) with whom Israel has signed a social security convention (here) and who has paid social security in that country. They must however make Bituach Briut payments.

For more general information click here.

3. How Much Are the Premium Payments?

Bituach Leumi collects insurance premiums from all residents according to their income and insurance status (here) and classification and pays benefits to all those eligible. Fines (and interest) are levied for failing to pay the required taxes.

  • Salaried Worker

As a salaried worker (here), who receives a Tlush Maskoret (תלוש משכורת) pay stub, registration with Bituach Leumi is performed automatically upon transfer of information from the employer. You can check the rates for insurance contributions here.

  • Atzmai (עצמאי) Self-Employed

As an Atzmai worker (here), you need to open a file in Bituach Leumi to be able to pay your monthly contributions. You can check the rates here.

  • Different Sources of Income

If you have income from a source other than work, you must report it by filling out form 6101 (here). For more information about what category you are in, check here.

You can check the rates here.

4. Benefits

Bituach Leumi pays benefits to those eligible, assisting people at times of personal crisis such as work termination, disability and work injury. You can view the main benefits here.

Some people are eligible to receive more than one benefit simultaneously. Check here to see if you are eligible.

5. Unemployment

Bituach Leumi may provide the unemployed person with funds for a limited time during his/her unemployment. You should report to the Sherut HaTa’asuka (שירות התעסוקה) Employment Service immediately upon termination of employment, and then report on regular days as instructed by the Service.

Check your eligibility for unemployment benefits here.

Our Terms, Conditions & Privacy Policy apply to all information and guidance (here).

Contact us if you have a question!